Lorry Art Snippets: Biblical Scene 2007


Haven't posted any for a while, so here's another lovely photograph of the tailgate of a painted lorry. I found this one on a blog, Stardust's Shadow. The photo was taken on travels through West Africa in 2007, apparently on the road between Benin City and Ile-Ife. 



This looks to me like a Biblical scene but I have to admit that I am less than sure which one it is. At first I thought the tailgate painting depicted the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:13–17; Mark 1:9–11; Luke 3:21–23). However, I cannot make out a river in the background and on closer inspection the fluid that is poured on the left man's head does not look like water, well, at least not like clear water (how muddy was the Jordan back in Jesus' days?). Then I thought, maybe it’s an illustration of Jesus' anointment (Matthew 26, Mark 14, Luke 7, John 12) but, if I'm not mistaken that involved a woman pouring perfume over Jesus' head.

So, now that I've outed myself and you, dear reader, have realised how badly I know my Bible: Help me out, if you can. Which scene do you think is depicted here?

P.S. Note the overturned lorry in the background.
 

Comments

  1. It could be the annointing of King Saul (1 Samuel 10:1) or King David (1 Samuel 16:13) by Samuel the prophet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signature Gallery, Abuja

'Portraits' of Sheikh Usman dan Fodio

Popular Portraits of Sheikh Ahmad Tijani - Another Little (Procrastination) Gem